Today I get to write about another area of Iowa near and dear to my heart! I spent four years living on the campus of the wonderful Luther College in Decorah, Iowa and this area is just so so beautiful to explore! Definitely way more than the corn fields everyone envisions when thinking about the state!
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Park and Museum: Come explore and learn about the time the Ingalls family spent in Burr Oak, a time not mentioned in the books series.
- Dunnings Springs Park: Gorgeous park just off the main road with a beautiful waterfall.
- Vesterheim Norwegian-America Museum: Explore this museum about the town’s Norwegian heritage. Disney even visited this museum while working on Frozen!
- Fort Atkinson State Preserve: This area contains remnants of Fort Atkinson, built as a fort to help keep pioneers safe.
- Effigy Mounds National Monument: Beautiful area to hike near the Mississippi River and learn about the ancient mounds left behind my Native Americans.
- Cedar Rock State Park: This park houses a residence designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
- Pikes Peak State Park: This park sits on a bluff that overlooks the confluence of the Mississippi and Wisconsin Rivers.
- Spook Cave: Take a boat tour of this flooded cave.
- Bily Clocks Museum and Antonin Dvorak Exhibit: Explore these hand made clocks and also learn about the time composer Antonin Dvorak spent in the area.
- Bluedorn Science Imaginarium: Small hands on science museum.
- Silos and Smokestacks National Heritage Area: Experience the agricultural history of the area by visiting one of many locations in this area.
All attractions found in the Travel Iowa Vacation Guide.