Today we hit the final region of South Dakota and by far the largest bucket list for the state as it hits upon the popular tourist areas of the state: The Black Hills and the Badlands. Lots to see and do here!
- Tri-State Museum and Visitor Center: This small museum focuses on history from the tri-state area and also is home to the “Center of the Nation.”
- Crazy Horse Memorial: This constant work in progress will one day be a magnificent memorial to the great warrior Crazy Horse.
- Custer State Park: Beautiful state park that features a wildlife viewing loop and beautiful Sylvan Lake.
- Jewel Cave National Monument: Unique cave filled with “boxwork” and very interesting tour.
- 1880 Train/South Dakota State Railroad Museum: Ride the train from Hill City to Keystone and back again after exploring the museum.
- Mammoth Site of Hot Springs: This is an active paleontologist site.
- Wind Cave National Park: Come hike along the prairie or take a tour of this impressive cave system.
- Badlands National Park: Experience this unique landscape! Gorgeous views and hiking!
- Mount Rushmore National Monument: See the famed “mountain of presidents.”
- National Presidential Wax Museum: See wax presidential figures in specific moments of history along with other presidential artifacts.
- Black Hills Mining Museum: Explore the history of mining and take a simulated “mine tour.”
- Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center: Explore the Underground Lab mission, the history of Lead and view the iconic Open Cut.
- Minuteman Missile National Historic Site: Explore the history of the Cold War and visit the missile site and control bunker on a tour.
- America’s Founding Fathers Exhibit: Found in a replica of Independence Hall, this attractions takes you back in history to explore our Founding Fathers.
- Bear Country U.S.A.: Drive thru nature park. Get up close and personal with some native animals.
- Chapel in the Hills: Take in the beauty of this unique church.
- Dinosaur Park: Visit this iconic attraction built in the 1930’s with sweeping views of the town below.
- The Journey Museum and Learning Center: Explore the history of the Black Hills and the Native Americas who called the area home.
- Spearfish Canyon: Take in the gorgeous views of the canyon by driving along the byway.
- Roughlock Falls State Nature Area: Enjoy a beautiful waterfall area just a short hike from your parking spot. Be sure to check out nearby Spearfish Falls as well.
- Bear Butte State Park: Attempt to summit Bear Butte and take in stunning views of the beginning of the Black Hills.
- Old Fort Meade Museum: Learn the history of the fort that was built to protect miners and settlers on the Western fronteir.
- Wall Drug Store: No visit to South Dakota is complete without visiting the famed Drug Store. Overpriced but still a must see.
All attractions found in the 2019 South Dakota Vacation Guide.