Back at the blog after a break for the holidays. This week our focus is my current “home” state of South Dakota. The state is split into four regions, with the bulk of attractions found in the west. Today we focus on the Southeast which is home to the largest city in the state, Sioux Falls.
- Newton Hills State Park: Great place to hike and camp; a wooded oasis.
- Devil’s Gulch Split Rock Park: Stand on the footbridge that spans the gulch and enjoy the beauty of the chasm.
- Palisades State Park: Enjoy the unique cliff and rock formations.
- Lake Herman State Park: Check out the views of Lake Herman, created by melting glacial ice years ago.
- Corn Palace: Explore this local arena that features several murals made entirely out of corn.
- Porter Sculpture Park: Explore over 50 sculptures located just off the interstate.
- Falls Park: Explore the falls that give the town its name in this beautiful park space.
- Good Earth State Park: South Dakota’s newest state park preserves a Native American sacred site and features trails and scenic decks along the Big Sioux River.
- Great Plains Zoo: Fun smaller zoo to visit and explore.
- Sculpture Walk: Enjoy the downtown area of Sioux Falls and the many works of art.
- National Music Museum: After years of major renovations, this museum is slotted to reopen this year. Fun for any music lover!
- Spirit Mound: Located along the Lewis and Clark Trail, this site was a great vantage point along the expedition.
- Missouri National Recreation River: Part of the National Park Service, this area provides lots of fun along the Missouri River. Explore the site of the first Dakota Territorial Captiol and cross the Meridian Bridge to have a foot in South Dakota and Nebraska at the same time!
All attractions found in the 2019 South Dakota Vacation Guide.