Today we reach the end of our Hawaiian Island bucket list series by dreaming up plans for the Big Island: Hawai’i.
- World Botanical Gardens: Self guided tour of gardens and waterfalls.
- Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park: While this park isn’t exactly in Hilo, it was the closest big city. From time to time, eruptions are still happening in this park!
- Wailuku River State Park: Visit to explore Boiling Pots and Rainbow Falls.
- Pu’uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park: Wander this sacred, historic place of safety for early Hawaiian lawbreakers.
- ‘Akaka Falls State Park: One hike will take you to viewpoints for two different waterfalls.
- Ahu’ena Heiau: Reconstructed temple and final home of Kamehameha I.
- Kaloko-Honokohau National Hisotrical Park: Hike to see four different ahupua’a (traditional mountain to sea land divisions.)
- NELHA: Tour the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawai’i Authority to learn about renewable energy and sustainability on the island.
- Manuka State Wayside Park: Explore lava flows from different eruptions.
- Punalu’u Black Sand Beach: Black Sand beach formed from lava flow.
- Hawai’i Tropical Botanical Gardens: Pass streams and waterfalls while touring this garden.
- Lapakahi State Historical Park: Take a self-guided tour through the remains of this ancient coastal settlement.
- Pu’ukohola Heiau National Historic Site: Visit this temple built by King Kamehameha I.
- Waipi’o Valley Overlook: Take in the majesty of the valley.
All attractions can be found in the 2019 Hawaiian Islands and Island of Hawai’i Travel Guides.