Today we move to a new state! Arizona! Our Arizona Bucket List posts will be broken into five segments. Today we tackle Northern Arizona, home to the Grand Canyon and larger city of Flagstaff.
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument: While of course the Grand Canyon is the most well known canyon in Arizona, this one is not to be missed either! Canyon de Chelly is on Navajo land and still contains remnants of old pueblos.
- Museum of Northern Arizona: Discover the rich history of this land and people at this state history museum.
- Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument: Hike along the crater of an old volcano at this park!
- Walnut Canyon National Monument: Another fun canyon to hike and visit ancient pueblos.
- Wupatki National Monument: More ancient pueblos located among the red rocked area.
- Pipe Spring National Monument: Learn about conflict and comprise faced by Mormon ranchers and the Native Americans who both called this area home.
- Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site: Old meeting site between the Navajo and settlers that moved to the area.
- Grand Canyon National Park: Does this one even need an explanation? It’s one of the great wonders of the USA!
- Petrified Forest National Park: This park has always been high on my list! There’s something so intriguing about a petrified forest. Time frozen in those trees.
- Monument Valley Tribal Park: This park straddles the Arizona/Utah border and is known for its towering sandstone buttes among the desert.
- Glen Canyon National Recreation Area: Another park shared by both Arizona and Utah, this stunning area is great for water lovers.
- Vermilion Cliffs National Monument: This area features towering cliffs and canyons.
- Navajo National Monument: This area preserves 3 dwellings of the Anceint Puebloan People.
- Coal Mine Canyon: This canyon is located just east of the Grand Canyon and at the edge of the painted desert.
- Bearizona Wildlife Park: I loved Bear Country USA here in Rapid City, SD, so would gladly visit another similar park!
- Meteor Crater: Check out the site of an old meteor crash and the impact it left on the area.
- Standin on the Corner Park: This park commemorates the song “Take it Easy” made famous by the Eagles.
All attractions found in the 2019 Arizona Travel Guide.