Today we begin a new state in the Bucket List series. We are moving northward into Colorado, beginning in it’s southeast corner. This list is rather small as it is a sparely populated area before we hit the mountains.
- Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site: This marks the site where Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes were massacred by the U.S. Army in the American Indian Wars.
- Bent’s Old Fort National Historic Site: This site features an old adobe fort built on the mountain extension of the Santa Fe Trail.
- Francisco Fort Museum: Another old trading fort located at the foot of the Spanish Mountains.
- Ludlow Massacre Site: Site of a massacre of striking coal miners and their families by the Colorado National Guard and Colorado Fuel and Iron Company.
- Santa Fe Trail Museum: Part of the Trinidad History Museum, this portion focuses on the role the Santa Fe Trail played in the area.
All attractions can be found in the 2019 Colorado Visitor Guide.